Drug and Alcohol Rehabs in Alaska

Alaska’s rate of dependency on alcohol and illicit drugs has been among the top ten in the United States since 2002. About 14% of young people surveyed between the ages of 12 and 17 use illegal drugs; roughly 16% abuse alcohol, and engage in binge drinking.

Over 90% of Alaskans enrolled in rehabilitation programs cite alcohol as their biggest substance problem. Cocaine and marijuana are the second and third most popular choices for those with dependency issues. Roughly 40% and 20% of patients mentioned these drugs respectively. Between 50% and 60% of those enrolled in treatment programs are seeking help for one substance, while the other 40% to 50% struggle with two or more substances.

Those seeking treatment in for substance abuse in Alaska have both privately and publicly funded options. There are about 70 different treatment facilities in Alaska, roughly 40 of which are private. There are also options for Alaska Natives with dependency issues seeking help in their native language.

Alaska Rehab Admission Information

About 6% of young people in Alaska who abuse drugs or alcohol do not ever receive treatment for their problems. This unmet need for care can lead to more dependency issues and even serious mental disorders.

Between 8% and 9% of Alaskans over the age of 12 have experienced major depressive episodes in the year prior to being surveyed. This is consistently higher than the national rate of major depressive episodes for this age group. Alcohol and drug dependency can significantly increase the chances of a person having these episodes, and if left untreated, could cause serious damage. Drug rehabilitation facilities have seen the number of admitted patients with serious psychological distress nearly double over the past 20 years.

It is strongly advised that anyone with dependency issues with alcohol or illicit drugs seek the help of a drug and alcohol rehabilitation service. Alaskans have many options regarding these services, but patients tend to have the highest levels of success with the private facilities. These facilities can usually provide a more thorough service, and patients experience a better chance at overcoming their difficulties with substance abuse.

Alaska Behavioral Health Resource – Substance Abuse Agency
Alaska Division of Behavioral Health
3601 C Street
Suite 878
Anchorage, AK 99503
Phone Number: (907)-269-3600
Fax Number: (907)-269-3623
Web Site: http://dhss.alaska.gov/osmap/Pages/default.aspx

Find Rehabs Near You in Alaska

To find a drug or alcohol rehab center in Alaska near you, simply search by zip code or city below. If you would like further assistance or information on other treatment options, feel free to call us to speak with a treatment and recovery specialist.