Missouri Drug Rehab Programs

Drug use in Missouri is slightly lower than it is in the rest of the country. On average, just under 3% of Americans struggle with addiction to illicit substances; the rate in Missouri is just over 2.5%. The largest portion of people who are dependent on drug use is young people between the ages of 12 and 17. Among this group, about 9.5% of Missouri residents are addicted to an illicit substance, and about 10% of 12 to 17 year olds in the rest of the country have a drug problem.

Alcohol dependence is also lower in Missouri than it is in the rest of the country. In the state, about 6% of people reported heavy alcohol use and dependence, while the average for the country is just over 6.5%.

Missouri Treatment Admissions

Admissions into treatment programs in Missouri are largely directed by medical necessity for the appropriate level of care. These levels may include:

  • Detoxification
  • Residential/ Inpatient Treatment
  • Partial Hospitalization (PHP/ Day Treatment)
  • Intensive Outpatient Programs (IOP)
  • Outpatient Services

Marijuana is the most common drug abused in Missouri with about 44% of rehabilitation program enrollees saying it is their most used drug. The second most popular type of drug in Missouri is stimulants at about 20%. Heroin and cocaine make up another roughly 15%, and prescription drugs are abused by about 10% of Missouri residents.

In Missouri, there are 244 different facilities offering recovery programs for drug or alcohol dependence. Most of these facilities are privately operated but there are also many public options available to Missouri residents. There are also a variety of different types of care available in Missouri. Almost all of the facilities offer some type of care other than the tradition, live-in rehabilitation programs. Many rehabilitation centers offer outpatient or residential care as well. Most of the facilities in the state that offer rehabilitation services also house other mental health services, 168 of the 244 facilities operate this way. The other 77 centers in the state offer treatment exclusively for those seeking help with drug or alcohol addiction recovery.

In Missouri, only 13% of people who struggle with addiction find and enroll in a recovery program. The other 87% do not find the rehabilitation services that they need. The average for heavy alcohol users is even lower in the state. Less than 3% of Missouri residents who are dependent on alcohol enroll in a treatment program.

Missouri Behavioral Health Resources

Missouri Department of Mental Health -Substance Abuse
1706 East Elm Street
Jefferson City, MO 65102
Phone Number: (573)-751-4942
Fax Number: (573)-751-7814
Web Site: https://dmh.mo.gov/alcohol-drug

Find Rehabs in Missouri Near You

If you would like to find local rehabs near you in Missouri, you can search below by zip code or city for a list of available facilities. If you would like additional treatment options, please call us to speak with a rehab consultant.